Date:      Fri, 14 Jun 2002 16:26:12 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@tp.databus.com>
To:        Mike Silbersack <silby@silby.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Broken PMTUD in FreeBSD?

There may be an issue with T/TCP, but otherwise I see no reason
to set DF on syn-ack, even when PMTUD is on.  There is simply no
point to avoiding fragmentation of a single packet per connection,
and it's highly unlikely anyway in today's Internet.  The current
behavior is perfectly acceptable to any reasonable person.

On Fri, Jun 14, 2002 at 02:41:08PM -0500, Mike Silbersack wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Jun 2002, Jonathan Lemon wrote:
>
> > It is a DoS.  Suppose that for some reason, we send out a SYN,ACK of
> > 80 octets, which hits a router with the minimum MTU of 68 octets.
> > Unlikely, yes, but still legal.  If IP_DF is set, the packet gets dropped,
> > and a ICMP PMTU response is sent back, but the syncache will still resend
> > the 80 octet datagram.  If IP_DF is clear, the datagram will get through.
>
> In theory, I guess that could happen.  Give me a few days to examine the
> PMTU code to see if there's an easy way to handle that case.  If the DF
> bit is removed on the resend, would that be acceptable?
>
> /me has this bad feeling that he just roped himself into auditing the PTMU
> code.
>
> Mike "Silby" Silbersack

Barney Wolff
I never met a computer I didn't like.