Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 2002 10:07:19 +0200
From:      Niek Bergboer <niek@wit379119.student.utwente.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/net/licq

On Mon, Jun 17, 2002 at 12:49:54AM -0700, Mr. Darren wrote:
> I think it's time to toss out the licq port, no one
> appears to be maintaining it, it hasn't been upgraded
> with the last licq(www.licq.org) upgrades and doesn't
> have compadible network protocals to talk to the other
> icq clients anymore.  you can recieve messages but not
> send....

Thank you for taking the time for bringing this problem under
everone's attention. Though we might be better off discussing this
problem in ports@freebsd.org, I'm not subscribed to that list, so I'll
post my initial reply here.

First off, we need to distinguish between the net/licq and
net/licq-devel ports. The main difference between the two is that the
licq-devel port _does_ support the v8 message protocol, allowing one
to exchange messages with the newer Windows ICQ clients. licq-devel
is listed as version number "1.1.0-current".

net/licq is at version 1.04 and only supports protocols up to v7,
which generates lots of trouble when talking to newer Windows clients;
some messages are received many times, and both sending and receiving
messages may sometimes take a long time.

Now, looking at www.licq.org, I cannot help to notice that their
stable/devel versions are at 1.0.4/1.1.0 as well. So it seems the
problem is not our port maintainer, but possibly the development of
licq itself.

I, for one, would strongly disagree with removing licq(-devel) from
the ports tree; I, and many others, use it on a daily basis. We might
put up a notice in the net/licq port that advocates using the
net/licq-devel port to nudge people into the direction of using licq
1.1.0. Other than that, I would say the port is used too extensively
to remove.

> -Darren

Niek

--
  "Those who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those
   who dream only by night."

PGP public key at http://www.bergboer.net