Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 03:39:25 +1000 (EST)
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        Igor Roboul <igorr@speechpro.com>
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: misc/38884: bug in vfprinf.c function cvt(...)

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Igor Roboul wrote:

>  Error is fixed by recompiling libc with -O instead of -O2

This PR was submitted before gcc-3 was in the tree.  Did you compile the
libraries with a gcc-3 from ports back then?  I checked that gcc3 -O2's
compilation dtoa.c is the main thing responsible for misprinting (float)123
in the example in your other thread (about ncurses ...).  There was no
problem with gcc2 -O2, gcc3 -O, or gcc3 with -O2 for vfprintf.c and the
program alone.  gcc3 with -O2 for dtoa.c and the program alone makes a
mess.  So I think this is mostly a compiler bug.

>  But I still think that there is nothing wrong with extra check in vfprintf.c

It's just not useful, and might hide the real bug.

Bruce