Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 2002 19:58:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        Chris Scarpinzicci <chris@unix-fu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hardware suggestions

On Fri, 21 Jun 2002, Chris Scarpinzicci wrote:

>     I'm looking into building a server for purposes basically of
> webservering and mysql, and I'm looking for suggestions as far as what
> type of hardware works best with FreeBSD for these purposes, where I'll
> get the best performance out of it.  Yes, I know there is the HCL, but
> I'm looking for opinions, not what's listed to just work. :)  Right now
> I was looking for a 2U chassis with redundant power, but I haven't seen
> any that have 450W redundant power yet, and as far as I know, I'll need
> a minimum of 400W with dual Athlon MPs.  Any opinions and URLs to
> suggested vendors are welcome.

How much webserving are you doing?  Are you sure you need dual Athlons?

I.E...

www.mt.net{forrestc}21: uptime
 7:54PM  up 28 days,  3:56, 2 users, load averages: 0.05, 0.04, 0.00

This is a customer web server for roughly 4000 customers (not all have web
pages)  plus a couple hundred virtual domains, including mysql and
postgres support.  This box is a single processor Pentium II 300mhzish.

That said, about the only specific recommendation I can give you is use an
Intel Etherexpress Pro (type) network card.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE