Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 21:49:57 -0500
From:      D J Hawkey Jr <hawkeyd@visi.com>
To:        Steve Ames <steve@energistic.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CERT (Was: Re: NUTS! "Much ado about nothing" -- I need a clearer up or down)

On Jun 26, at 09:29 PM, Steve Ames wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 09:00:55PM -0500, D J Hawkey Jr wrote:

> > > 2.9 is not vulnerable to this particular attack.
> >
> > That's as simple as it gets. Thanks.
>
> That "particular attack"... yep. The CERT advisory seemed to indicate
> that earlier versions also have vulnerabilities? From 2.3.1p1 to 3.3...

See below for some observations. For brevity's sake, I've snipped irrelevant
text.

> -Steve
>

> CERT Advisory CA-2002-18 OpenSSH Vulnerabilities in Challenge Response
> Handling
>
>    [SNIP]
>
> III. Solution
>
>    [SNIP]
>
> Disable challenge response authentication
>
>    For  OpenSSH  versions  greater  than  2.9,  system administrators can
>    disable   the   vulnerable   portion   of  the  code  by  setting  the
>    "ChallengeResponseAuthentication"  configuration  option  to  "no"  in
>    their  sshd  configuration  file.  Typically,  this is accomplished by
>    adding the following line to /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
>
>           ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

This I did when I enabled SSH. Seems a mis-match on this between clients
and servers can go a little weird.

> Disable PAM authentication via interactive keyboard
>
>    For  OpenSSH  versions  greater  than  2.9,  system administrators can
>    disable   the  vulnerable  portion  of  the  code  affecting  the  PAM
>    authentication   issue  by  setting  the  "PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt"
>    configuration  option  to  "no"  in  their  sshd  configuration  file.
>    Typically,  this  is  accomplished  by  adding  the  following line to
>    /etc/ssh/sshd_config:
>
>           PAMAuthenticationViaKbdInt no

No such animal with the OpenSSH version in RELENG_4_5.

> Disable both options in older versions of OpenSSH
>
>    For  OpenSSH  versions  between  2.3.1p1 and 2.9, system adminstrators
>    will   instead  need  to  set  the  following  options  in  their  ssh
>    configuration file:
>
>           KbdInteractiveAuthentication no
>           ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

The first doesn't exist in the the OpenSSH version in RELENG_4_5.

Would I be naive - or stupid - in assuming that those features that aren't
even implemented cannot be vulnerable?

Dave

--