Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 13:50:12 +0200
From:      Steve Mazerski <smazerski@yahoo.co.jp>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slow boot initialisation

Here's some further information:

On Saturday 13 July 2002 23:01, Steve Mazerski wrote:
(...)
> Every time the "waiting" symbols (i.e. the ASCII chars |/-\ ) appears, =
the
> system seems to be doing a series of seeks to each hard disks
> alternatively, but nothing else apart from keeping the "waiting" symbol
> turning.

The sound is a sort of "twang twock". By disconnecting all other
drives I have determined that the sound is coming from the
primary IDE drive ( WDC AC28400R ).

With this drive disconnect I did a fresh install on a couple of ancient=20
drives. FreeBSD booted from these without displaying the
problem described, which leads me to believe the problem lies with Wester=
Digital itself.

Drive: Western Digital WDC AC28400R
Board: Asus P5A-B , BIOS version 1005
Chipset: ALI15X3
BIOS settings for the drives are as autodetected, I am not an avid
BIOS tweaker.

I haven't found any references to this kind of problem through
google etc. It's damned annoying, I was hoping to be worrying
myself with more trivial problems like Flash Player for Mozilla
by now ;-)

Any ideas?

S.Mazerski