Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:42:53 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        freebsd <freebsd@epx.com>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-threaded drivers?

Yes and no..

it has 2 'threads' (if you decide to interpret it that way).

One runs at the time of the interrupt. and receives the packet, and
possibly gets another to transmit if the transmit buffer has room.

The other runs at other times and passes the packet through the IP stack.
It also queues packets ready to transmit.. it's not actually
a threaded driver, but it has some of the characteristics of one.

The two threads of control are independent and need to
have locking to stop them colliding. The locking is in th e form of spl()
calls in -stable. In -current it's more complicated..