Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 20:45:38 -0700
From:      "Cliff L. Biffle" <cbiffle@safety.net>
To:        Craig Dooley <cd5697@albany.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SBLive (emu10k1) support and so forth

On Tuesday 30 July 2002 03:49 pm, Craig Dooley wrote:
> I personally use a sblive value fine in freebsd with the spdif out.
> Havent tried in yet, but out works fine.  Actually less distortion than
> linux, on both current and stable.  Only problem I have is that you can=
> adjust output volume with the mixer.  I was looking at adding such
> functionality.

It's mostly the in, both S/PDIF and Toslink, that I'm after.

> I dont find much use for midi.  I guess timidity is the
> only suggestion I can make there.  there is driver support though, and
> it works fine

On the SBLive I had set up some pretty complex sample/patch/effect=20
arrangements in Windows; I was actually using it (and some software synth=
) to=20
do most of the tracks for an electronic music act, mostly MIDI controlled=
=2E =20
Timidity has a lot of limitations (for example, it seems to misread veloc=
ity=20
indications on notes, and doesn't have a lot of the Live's NPRN controlle=
rs),=20
but it works fine for playing tracks off the net and whatnot.

-Cliff L. Biffle