Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 2002 23:09:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Trevor Johnson <trevor@jpj.net>
To:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, <cvs-all@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/linux-mozilla Makefile

> This doesn't sound like the best fix.  linux_base-6 should be going away.
> Adding more packages to it that doesn't also exist in linux_base-7
> doesn't seem right.

Until we are ready to get rid of linux_base-6, it should be kept usable.
Among the other approaches that I considered were:

	1) a second linux-gtk port for use only with linux_base-6
	2) downgrading the linux-gtk port

I felt that #2 would be too controversial.  As for #1, I didn't feel it
was worth the trouble, since the netscape7, linux-mozilla and (forbidden)
linux-netscape6 ports are the main "consumers" of linux_base-6 and they
all need GTK+.  If you'd like to implement either of these, please go
ahead.  If you have something else in mind, could you please discuss it
with me?

> Why does the Java plugin require linux_base-6?  The Java plugin doesn't
> run on RedHat 7.x?

I don't have a Red Hat box, but under linux_base 7.1, the Java plugin for
Netscape 6 or 7 does not work.  I don't know the reason.

> Why is the linux-gtk port not compatable with linux_base-6?

Since the last update to the linux-gtk port, it complains about missing
symbols in glibc, when linux_base-6 is installed.  Earlier, the linux-gtk
port was compatible with both linux_base-6 and linux_base 7.1.
--
Trevor Johnson