Date:      Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:54:14 -0400
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/x11-fonts/XFree86-4-fontCyrillic Makefile

On Monday 16 September 2002 04:27 pm, you wrote:
= On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 16:10:52 -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
=
= > Evidently, we define compatibility differently.
=
= Simple, it seems you don't understand what compatibility is, in
= standards area. From standard point of view, every character is
= precious, there is no difference between letters or unused symbols.

Indeed, you confirm the difference in our understanding. You are willing
to sacrifice features for the sake of strict standard conformance. I
claim, that _in this case_ it is not a worthy goal. Two other people,
whose knowledge and understanding of the matters you don't (yet?) reject
happen to agree with me, but you go ahead and overwrite the consensus
reached on the apropriate forum -- i18n.

You then claim the consensus was different, but ignore requests for
links or message ids.

= > The older Cronyx fonts (to which you did not object until Maxim's
= > recent modifications) were not compatible with the standard either,
= > by yout logic. In fact,

= Fonts with partial conformance are better than no fonts at all.

Maxim kept the partial conformance intact, while adding immensely
usefull functionality...

= > I sense, that the new ones are not compatible either, but you are
=
= The only acceptable way of changes is to make them more claimed stadard
= conformant. Any other changes are strictly prohibited.

Acceptable to you -- may be. I'd say, we need an arbitrage on this
issue, but we already had one (on i18n), however you not only ignored
its conclusions, but tried to misrepresent them, when pressured :-\

= > What about Maxim? You backed out his change without his aproval, what's
= > your justification for that?

= He broke koi8-r fonts in the way I describe in this thread again. I
= already complain about that when old discussion begins. I wait some
= time to allow him to fix things, but nothing happens. Then I fix it,
= because it is my responsibility here to keep integrity of charsets
= people use, any charsets.

Your view of your responsibilities can not go against committers' rules.
You are not the maintainer of the code in question nor did you get
anyone else's opinion (much less an arbitrage) to support your case.

	-mi