Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 18:28:27 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question for committers.

On Mon, 23 Sep 2002, Mike Barcroft wrote:

> walt <wa1ter@hotmail.com> writes:
> > May I ask a na=EFve question, please?  World has been broken at libncur=
ses for
> > three days.  There have been dozens of commits to the -CURRENT tree dur=
ing that
> > same three days.
> >=20
> > How do you committers to -CURRENT keep working when userland is broken?=
  How
> > can you judge the impact of all your changes when you are not rebuildin=
> > the system every day?
>=20
> I'm sure most of us aren't installing world each day, only building
> and installing certain things, or only building everything with an
> older world.
>=20

I have 2 machines..
one I commit from and one that is purely updated from a mirror of the
cvs tree.

After I've build everything relevent and often a whole world, on my
editing machine, I commit but it's still possible to make mistakes,
For example leving out part of an edit set.

Then I wait for it to cycle back to me though the mirror system
and then I do a make -k buildworld on the other machine. Hopefully=20
this machine represents "joe developer", and doesn't have teh missing
stuff already on it.
 =20
I go through the log and check for failures.=20
If I consider that that failure isn't anything to do with me, I=20
leave it for whoever made the mistake.
If it's my fault (e.g. this morning I failed to commit a pair of edits)
I'll catch it and fix it..
cycle time is usually a about 2 hours but sometimes a bit more.
(e.g. if you drift off to sleep before it gets back to you :-)

The key is the -k together with logging the output. Sometimes I diff
consequtive outputs.