Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:47:50 -0400
From:      "Peter C. Lai" <sirmoo@cowbert.2y.net>
To:        twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH.com on FreeBSD

ssh.com is /usr/ports/security/ssh2

[sirmoo@cowbert]:/usr/ports/security/ssh2 % cat pkg-descr
SSH Protocols and Secure Shell

  Secure Shell is the secure login program that revolutionized remote
management of networks hosts over the Internet.  It is a powerful,
very easy-to-use program that uses strong cryptography for protecting
all transmitted confidential data, including passwords, binary files,
and administrative commands.

The benefits of SSH include:

o Automatic authentication of users, no passwords sent in cleartext to
  prevent the stealing of passwords.
o Multiple strong authentication methods that prevent such security
  threats as spoofing identity.
o Authentication of both ends of connection, the server and the client
  are authenticated to prevent identity spoofing, trojan horses, etc.
o Automatic authentication using agents to enable strong
  authentication to multiple systems with a single-sign-on.
o Encryption and compression of data for security and speed.
o Secure file transfer.
o Tunneling and encryption of arbitrary connections.

WWW: http://www.ssh.com/

The problem now, is that i don't know if you can do a -D_OVERWRITE BASE
or tricks to get it to overwrite the ossh that comes with the base install.
Someone else on -ports shoudl be able to help with that.

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 01:39:50PM -0700, twig les wrote:
> I'm switching this discussion to security because I
> think it's a better fit.  My bad for not doing it to
> begin with.

> Does this mean that the ssh.com server is installed?
> I need the proprietary daemon to compile and run
> instead of OpenSSH.  Someone has to have done this
> already.
>

> --- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
> wrote:
> > On 2002-09-25 11:09, twig les <twigles@yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > Has anyone compiled and run SSH.com's ssh server
> > on
> > > FreeBSD?  Specifically the boxes are running 4.6
> > > release (fully patched of course :) and we will be
> > > using secureID.  The base install is user (locked
> > down
> > > from there).
> >
> > You can always use the ports :-)
> >
> > : keramida@hades[23:23]/home/keramida$ ls -ld
> > /usr/ports/security/ssh*
> > : drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Sep 13 22:16
> > /usr/ports/security/ssh
> > : drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  512 Sep 24 04:06
> > /usr/ports/security/ssh-gui
> > : drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  512 Sep 13 22:16
> > /usr/ports/security/ssh-multiadd
> > : drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Sep 13 22:16
> > /usr/ports/security/ssh2
> >
> > --
> > Famous last words: "What duck?" -- (Terry Pratchett,
> > Soul Music)
>

> =====

Peter C. Lai
University of Connecticut
Dept. of Molecular and Cell Biology
Yale University School of Medicine
Center for Medical Informatics | Research Assistant
http://cowbert.2y.net/