Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 2002 11:47:14 +1000
From:      Antony Mawer <ajmawer@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Mark Hittinger <bugs@pu.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PCI probing broken on DELLs again

Mark Hittinger wrote:
> It looks to me like the 4.6 pci probing is picking up his ata0 disk as ata2,
> not quite linking to it properly, and then failing when it probes ata0 later.
>
> Does anyone know of an easy way to disable the ata2 probe?  My thinking is
> that if the ata2 probe is prevented then the ata0 probe will probably work
> and then he can run 4.6/7.

Now that caught my interest. A while ago I was trying to setup FreeBSD
4.6 on a machine with a Promise FastTrak100 TX2 "RAID" card. On the
original box I was trying to do the setup on, sysinstall picked up ar0
_and_ ad4 (I think it was, from memory, anyway), so I got the selection
box to choose what disk I wanted to fdisk and disklabel.

I installed to ar0 and ignored ad4, but during trying to install files
to it, sysinstall threw up gzip errors and the install bombed out.

I gave up fiddling and moved the RAID card etc into another box. This
time, sysinstall only picked up ar0, I installed to it, and everything
went smoothly.

Is there any likelihood this could somehow be related...?

-Antony