Date:      Mon, 21 Oct 2002 13:17:11 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com
Cc:        dwalton@acm.org, mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with upgrade

> Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 22:16:31 -0700
> From: "Greg Smith" <freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com>
>
> Kevin,
>
> I think the dmesg looks OK, IIRC.
>
> >>   sio1: configured irq 3 not in bitmap of probed irqs 0
>
> On my TP600 with 4.3-stable this is what I get without mwavedd
> kldload'ed, but imodem definitely enabled on irq's 3 and 10

If you are loading mwavedd, you are loading an older version of
mwavem. The current port creates 'mwave.ko'.

> >>   mwave0: <mwave> on isa0
> >>   Mwave Modem, UART settings IRQ 0x3   IO 0x2f8
> >>   sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
> >>   sio1: type 16550A
>
> I think this is the result of kldload mwavedd [sadly I can't get mwave
> to make on my 4.3-stable to verify my memory from 4.1].  Without the
> mwavedd device driver there is no sio1.

This is certainly true! Don't know how I missed it. It looks like
everything loaded correctly if it not only sees sio1, but sees it as a
16550A. That means that the driver is actually communicating with the
pseudo-device.

The next question is whether the mwavem process is getting started.

FWIW, I just tried this with 4.6-stable as of the day after 4.6.2 was
released. I disabled loading mwave.ko at boot time and let the startup
script do the job. I now see EXACTLY what Dave Walton saw, but my
modem works fine.

This is NOT assurance that it is the same, but it would be very
close. At least I know my 600E is still working OK.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)