Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 09:45:25 GMT
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-standards@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/posix: a first cut

> From: Mike Barcroft <mike@freebsd.org>
> Date: Sat 26 Oct, 2002
> Subject: Re: /usr/posix: a first cut

> > > I would prefer to have /usr/posix/bin and /usr/posix/man.  I think
> > > manuals will get too cluttered if we try to document two differing
> > > utilities in one manual.
> >
> > I was hoping this wouldn't get that much out of hand; I see the
> > differences being very small.
>
> I don't.  Take for instance /usr/posix/bin/ps which will be completely
> different, with many conflicting options.

Ah, I guess XSI stuff makes more if a difference, if we choose to support
it.

> > Most users will never see the POSIX-related manual pages if they
> > are separate.
>
> Users that don't need POSIX-conformant applications won't need to read
> about conformant versions and vice versa.

I'm a bit worried that this just hides standards-based manual pages behind
the compatibility ones.

> > Do you know of any other systems which take this approach?  I've
> > sort of been following Solaris' style, which I've found to be effective.
>
> Take a look at the sccs(1) manual on Solaris to see why I think
> manuals get cluttered when you go that route.

More XSI stuff.

Hmm, would a hybrid route work?  Shared manual pages for base POSIX.1
stuff, and separate ones for XSI?  Our stuff is mostly POSIX.1, but it
will never be "mostly XSI".

Actually, I think I'm becoming unkeen on the idea of a "getconf PATH"
which delivers System V utilities instead of BSD ones.

Can anyone think of a mechanism to opt out of the XSI stuff but still
get the base POSIX.1-2001 environment?  How about having a separate
/usr/sysv/bin?

Do you have any ideas for implementing conditional processing of manual
pages?  Preferably the mechanism would allow pre-processed pages to remain
syntactically correct and make some degree of sense when fed through nroff
-man.

My guess would be to use .ifdef POSIX and massage it for feeding through
unifdef -t (I've used this technique in the past to pre-process ifdef's in
GNU-style makefiles).

> > > I think we should suggest in posix(7) that users seeking conformant
> > > utilities change their PATH and MANPATH.
> >
> > I explicitly didn't do that, because I think /usr/posix is there for
> > script writers, not users.
>
> I think both will be using it.

OK.  I posted an update for this in another message, and will modify it
to refer to getconf(1).

> > In fact, putting /usr/posix at the start of your path is more likely
> > to _break_ the scripts you run.
>
> I use a different shell for scripting (/bin/sh) vs. my regular shell
> (/bin/tcsh).  A run of w(1) on freefall shows I'm not alone, 0/27
> users are running sh(1).  I believe most advanced Bourne shells define
> something to distinguish themselves from regular /bin/sh, so it
> shouldn't be a problem to change the path only for interactive
> sessions.

I was only talking about interactive sessions...

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses