Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 2002 14:52:14 +0100
From:      Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net>
To:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why Use a Daemon as a Symbol since it alienates many?

Dear Guardian Angels,

Daemon is not a terrifying devil figure. The perversion of it into
"demon" and what that implies was made in the New Testament and in the
Talmud. As far as I can gather Moslims are ambivalent about them, since
they are regarded as both good and bad.

However that is not the same as "daemon", which also has come to be a
technical word in the Unix world as well. I think anyone whose religious
beliefs get in the way of rationality, and who seriously believes it
gives FreeBSD a bad image has a far greater problem to deal with than
Signal 11's. Seeing the Daemon logo is hardly likely to turn anyone
into a Devil Worshipper is it ? There are some images that would
genuinely offend all rational people, a Swastika for example would not
get a lot of votes -- but that is part of recent times. (For your
interest the Swatika is actually a reversed version of a several
thousand year old Tibetan Buddhist image, that has little to do
with Nazism ! That is an example of how an image/icon becomes perverted)

I get really tired of people who think the world has to always fit in
with their beliefs. History, including very recent history, shows where
that can lead to. FreeBSD is an O/S, not a nuclear warhead. Getting rid
of those is where these people should be spending their energy, not on a
harmless image. As a matter of fact the original writer's suggestion
that the Statue of Liberty be a suitable image would offend me ! America
is not the only place FreeBSD has a presence. It would not stop me
using the O/S however. I might write to -chat pointing out the attempts
at the restrictions on "liberty" in the IT world that some Americans
would like to see and the fact it has a facility to monitor everyone's
email. Now that *is* offensive.

Maybe FreeBSD, as well as supporting multi-lingualism should support
alternative beliefs .. you know a home page for Christians, Druids,
etc... where will it end ? I respect people's beliefs, I even have a few
of them myself. There are doubtless many devout people who are users of
FreeBSD, and while they may find Beastie distasteful they just ignore
it.

Anyway the only Demons I have ever seen are on Buffy the Vampire Slayer,
although admittedly some politicians are in the running....and then
there was that bully at my school, and the man who owns the corner shop,
and those heavy-metal German rock bands....zzzzzzzzzzzz.

--
Regards
   Cliff