Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 2002 15:14:09 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: socks5 server compile error

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 01:57:37PM -0000, gicabulica@edison.ro wrote:

> I\'ve just received the socks5 server from nec and I tried to compile it
> with threads.
> The standard procedure works like a charm but when I add the --threaded
> options it fails at compilation level.
>
> I get a lot of error about like pthreads_XXXX:
> However,  I can read the man pages of this functions and I know that
> FreeBSD has suport for POSIX threads (pthreads).
>
> Anyway, I found out that the standard configure file does not find
> the right where the libraries are:

That's because there is no separate libpthreads.so under FreeBSD.
Instead you use the -pthread compiler flag, which causes (inter alia)
the linker to use the reentrant version of the system library,
libc_r.so.  (libc_r.so contains all the pthread_foo() functions,
unlike the standard libc.so).

Now, compiling generic programs using pthreads under FreeBSD 4.x tends
to get in a bit of a tangle unless the authors or port maintainers
have seen fit to provide FreeBSD support specifically (usually a claim
of "thread support" means "thread support on Linux").  Avoid threaded
versions of software that aren't documented as usable under FreeBSD
unless you like knotty problems.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way