Date:      Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:25:53 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Dru <dlavigne6@cogeco.ca>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PR opportunity?

Dru wrote:
> I've been approached by a journalist from a security print magazine/daily
> security newswire. I've been asked to comment on the tcpdump trojan and
> the pattern of increased attacks against open source software FTP sites.
>
> My first instinct is to reply with a simple "no comment". However, I
> wonder if this is a possible PR opportunity for a very carefully worded
> response from the FreeBSD community.
>
> Comments, suggestions?

It's the next escalation in the computer security arms race, and
we've been expecting it.  Unfortunately, security is a journey, not
a destination.

This really isn't purely a "FreeBSD thing" or an "Open Source
thing": Microsoft is facing the same attacks, if Windows ever
becomes harder to attack directly.

As more and more companies are switching from Microsoft operating
systems to FreeBSD and other Open Source alternatives, hackers are
finding it more and more difficult to attack them directly.

Once you can't attack an operating system like FreeBSD directly,
you have to attack it indirectly; this is most easily done by
attacking the applications it runs, instead.  If Microsoft Windows
wasn't so easy to break into, you would see the same thing happening
to Windows applications.

Keep in mind that what they have really compromised in not FreeBSD,
or even the Open Source application -- in this case tcpdump -- but
the servers and software that delivers the application to the users.
This is a classic "man in the middle" attack.  Now that Microsoft
has moved to a subscription service, where you pay for the same
software over and over, and give Microsoft total access to your
computer to update or modify the data on it, they are vulnerable to
these kinds of attacks, as well as attacks on the middleman they use
to access your computer.

-- Terry