Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:25:00 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/lib/libc_r/arch/ia64 _atomic_lock.S

On Saturday 16 November 2002 7:58 pm, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 02:13:19PM -0500, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> > On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > > If you want me to send patches, let me know. I'm trying to figure
> > > out what to do now that the *context functions have been turned
> > > into syscalls. It complicates things...
> >
> > I'm working on converting libc_r to use *context() so don't
> > worry about doing it yourself.
>
> Cool!
>
> I hope to have the *context syscalls next week. I've decided to
> not attack the problem head on, because we don't have time to
> fix the infrastructure for it (we need to unwind to recreate the
> context). Instead, I hope to hack-up a workable solution from an
> ABI breaking change. The ABI breaker allows us to have lightweight
> syscalls, which we permanently want. So, doing that now is very
> attractive. The intend is to implement the *context syscalls as
> lightweight syscalls in a very hackish way. This serves as an
> experiment as well as solving an immediate problem. Let's hope
> it works out...

So you intend to recognise the context calls in the syscall wrapper and=20
special-case them? This would work but it would also work for=20
heavyweight syscalls. I'm still worried about how you are going to=20
flush the user's register stack safely from kernel mode.

--=20
Doug Rabson=09=09=09=09Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
=09=09=09=09=09Phone: +44 20 8348 6160