Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:45:01 -0800
From:      Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@FreeBSD.org>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: fsck -p

	Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:09:55 +0200
	From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>
	To: Ian Dowse <iedowse@FreeBSD.org>,
	    Kirk McKusick <mckusick@FreeBSD.org>
	Cc: hackers@FreeBSD.org
	Subject: fsck -p

	Hi!

	Today I've got a hard lockup with 4.7 box.  Upon reboot,
	``fsck -p'' was run, and it resulted in the following,
	in particular:

	/dev/da0s1h: UNREF FILE I=3D591  OWNER=3Dnobody MODE=3D100644
	/dev/da0s1h: SIZE=3D81269024 MTIME=3DNov 20 09:50 2002  (CLEARED)
	/dev/da0s1h: FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK (SALVAGED)
	/dev/da0s1h: SUMMARY INFORMATION BAD (SALVAGED)
	/dev/da0s1h: BLK(S) MISSING IN BIT MAPS (SALVAGED)

	I thought that the correct action here would be to reconnect
	this file under fs's lost+found, but it did not happen.  Why?

	(I've lost a week of useful squid's access.log.)

	Cheers,

	Ruslan Ermilov		Sysadmin and DBA,
	ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,
	ru@FreeBSD.org		FreeBSD committer,
	+380.652.512.251	Simferopol, Ukraine

The reference count on the file was zero, so the assumption by
fsck is that you were in the process of removing it at the time
of the crash (e.g., the name had been removed from the directory
but the inode had not yet been cleared). Thus the default behavior
is to finish the removal. FYI, if you had run fsck manually, it
would have given you the option to save the file.

	Kirk McKusick