Date:      04 Dec 2002 15:52:38 +1000
From:      Duncan Anker <d.anker@au.darkbluesea.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using mount_union

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 14:48, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> Evening all ...
>
>   I just read through the man page a couple of times, and it sounded quite
> straightforward, but I've obviously mis-understood ...
>
>   My read of the man page is that I can create to directories (/d1 and
> /d2), mount /d1 over /d2 (mount_union /d2 /d1) and if I create a file in
> /d2, it won't show up in /d1, but if I create on in /d1, it will show up
> in /d2 ...

Did you read this bit in the man pages? :-)

THIS FILESYSTEM TYPE IS NOT YET FULLY SUPPORTED (READ: IT DOESN'T WORK)
AND USING IT MAY, IN FACT, DESTROY DATA ON YOUR SYSTEM.  USE AT YOUR OWN
RISK.  BEWARE OF DOG.  SLIPPERY WHEN WET.

Apart from that, my reading would be that if you mount_union /d2 /d1,
then any files in /d2 would mask /d1. Hence if a file exists in both
locations, you will never see the one in /d1.

On the other hand, if you create the file in either location it will
show up in the union.

>   But, when I tried it "in reality", it didn't matter which one I created
> in, it showed up in the other one ...

Sounds right to me.

> venus# mkdir d1 d2
> venus# mount_union /v1/test/d2 /v1/test/d1
> venus# touch /v1/test/d1/testfile
> venus# touch /v1/test/d2/testfile2
> venus# ls -lR
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Dec  3 22:45 d1
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Dec  3 22:45 d2
>
> ./d1:
> total 0
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  3 22:45 testfile
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  3 22:45 testfile2
>
> ./d2:
> total 0
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  3 22:45 testfile
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  0 Dec  3 22:45 testfile2
>

> And when I umount the file system, d1 loses the files that were created on
> it:

Because they were really created in d2 - files are created in the upper
layer, and searched for upper-to-lower.

> venus# umount /v1/test/d1
> venus# df -t union
> venus# ls -lR
> total 4
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Dec  3 22:44 d1
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Dec  3 22:45 d2
>
> ./d1:
>
> ./d2:
> total 2
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  28 Dec  3 22:46 testfile
> -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   0 Dec  3 22:45 testfile2
>
>   So have I totally botched my read of the man page, or am I just doign
> something wrong? :(

Botching a read of the man page is not doing something wrong? :-)

Did you try creating 2 different files with the same name in d1 and d2
*before* union mounting?

Cheers,
Duncan

--

The information contained in this email is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may not disclose or use the