Date:      Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:04:34 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        re-builders@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ia64 release failure [was: Re: RC1 Restart? ...]

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 02:52:59PM -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 05:15:38PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > >
> > > I expect docs might break on sparc64 though, in which case I'll
> > > end up restarting it w/o docs.
> > >

> > The ia64 release breaks right after checking out the source tree.
> >
> > mckinley% sudo make release CHROOTDIR=/release CVSROOT=/home/ncvs \
> > 	CVSCMDARGS="-D 12/5/2002 12:00:00 PST" BUILDNAME=5.0-RC1 \
> > 	-DNODOC -DNOPORTS -DMAKE_ISOS
> >
> > It first failed when I didn't had the -DNODOC...
>
> How'd it break?

I have no idea. All I see is that make bombs out:

\begin{snippet}
U src/usr.sbin/zic/zic.8
U src/usr.sbin/zic/zic.c
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/zic/zdump
U src/usr.sbin/zic/zdump/Makefile
cvs checkout: Updating src/usr.sbin/zic/zic
U src/usr.sbin/zic/zic/Makefile
*** Error code 1

Stop in /nfs/freebsd/5.x/src/release.
\end{snippet}

There's no sign of anything going wrong anywhere. I'm rebuilding
and reinstalling world on the box before trying again. The release
has failed twice successively already :-(

> PS.  I'm kludging something up for builders who for some reason
> cannot build docs but still want to have their platform's release
> documentation on the ISOs/FTP/whatever.

An annoying problem I have is that I cannot fetch once chroot'd
under the release tree. I haven't figured out what could be wrong
yet... In the mean time I'm slowly working my way through ports
and sending patches to the maintainers (just send one for cdrtools)
in the hope to get them build on ia64 before 5.0-RELEASE...