Date:      Mon, 9 Dec 2002 13:12:36 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        gagman@canada.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DMA check causes fatal trap exception in FreeBSD 4.7 installation

In the last episode (Dec 09), gagman@canada.com said:
> I have a Pentium 533 MHz machine with 2 hard drives (10GB and 2GB).
> Both drives are manufactured by Fujitsu.  The Bios detects that the
> first drive uses UDMA 4 and the second drive uses UDMA 2.  When I run
> hdparm tests on the drives with DMA turned on, my whole system
> freezes up but the tests run fine on the second drive.  In addition,
> hdparm -i doesn't list UDMA-4 as one of the DMA modes for the first
> drive.  Now that I have given you the scenario, I would like to ask
> you how can I disable the DMA check during FreeBSD installation as it
> seems to be causing a fatal trap exception during the DMA check?

Right at the bneginning of the boot process, you'll see a line that
says:

  Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt.

Hit space there, then at the prompt, enter "set hw.ata.ata_dma=0", then
enter "boot" to continue the boot process.  Once the system is
installed, edit (or create) the file /boot/loader.conf and put the line
"hw.ata.ata_dma=0" in it.  That should keep FreeBSD from trying to use
DMA mode on the hard drives.  You might want to check your cabling
setup and BIOS versions, though.  A DMA test shouldn't lock up the
system.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com