Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 06:16:56 -0800
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, cvs-all@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www Makefile ports/www/p5-HTTP-BrowserDetect Makefile distinfo pkg-comment pkg-descr pkg-plist

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 11:32:05AM +0000, Ceri Davies wrote:
> Not withstanding the ports freeze, is it not customary to add new ports
> to CVSROOT/modules as well ?
>
> Note that I am not a ports committer, but I often see this done.

When the repository was moved from freefall to ncvs, it broke the
basic assumption made by addport: the repo server == the server
we connect to to download CVSROOT/modules from.  Since
CVSROOT/modules is such a huge file and since there is no way to
guarantee (i.e. very close to 100%) that the file hasn't changed,
I made addport login to freefall and pull modules there, make the
changes there, and commit it there.  This had the additional
advantage of not forcing people to pull it over (some of) their
dialups.

But the assumption is no longer valid because it assumes people
have added 'ncvs.freebsd.org' to their freefall .ssh/known_hosts.
But as I have seen, there are many people who don't have that.
And so committing modules breaks for them.  (There are also other
problems people have reported but I'm not aware of fixes.)

There is no easy solution that I know of that does not lose the
advantages I mentioned here.  Addport doesn't keep any state
between its executions (one of its advantages IMHO).

Regards,
--
wca