Date:      Thu, 19 Dec 2002 03:07:45 -0500
From:      Jake Burkholder <jake@locore.ca>
To:        Gavin Atkinson <gavin@ury.york.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hangs under load

Apparently, On Mon, Dec 16, 2002 at 07:11:14PM +0000,
	Gavin Atkinson said words to the effect of;

> On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Jake Burkholder wrote:
>
> > Apparently, On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 06:53:46PM +0000,
> > 	Gavin Atkinson said words to the effect of;
> >
> > > I am running a kernel from Nov 11th on my Ultra 5. I can't compile a new
> > > kernel because my system hangs during the compile. How can I begin to
> > > debug this? Or should I just try my hardest to get to the top of the tree
> > > before investigating?
> > >
> > > I don't think it's hardware issues. The box still responds to pings and
> > > arp who-has requests. But I get nothing on the serial port, and sending a
> > > break does nothing either.
> >
> > Try to get to the top of the tree.  If you can't build a new kernel you
> > could download the RC1 or DP2 dics2.iso and try booting the GENERIC kernel
> > that's on that.  It should work ok with your older binaries.
>
> OK, well I've managed to get world/kerenl updated and still have the
> hangs. I can do nothing with the serial console, and nothing gets
> printed there or in the event log when it happens. It is reproducable,
> running buildworld with /usr/src NFS mounted from a CURRENT i386
> machine is sufficient (i'm about to try with local /usr/src to see if
> that makes any difference). What else can I try?

Does this still happen if you cut NFS out of the picture completely?
Someone reported problems building world over nfs on an i386 box, which
may be related.  The symptoms sound the same, complete hard lock.

My ultra 10 does a make release almost everyday and I haven't had any
problems with it locking up, but its all local disk.

Jake