Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 04:05:29 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ThinkPad Hibernation

Greg Smith <freebsd_mail@myrealbox.com> probably said:
> According to this page you can create a bootable floppy version of the
> routine:
>
> http://www.pc.ibm.com/qtechinfo/MIGR-4PESMK.html
>
> [Never underestimate IBM's support options!  In fact, it was referenced
> from the hibw4win page.]
>
> Do read the whole page, because there is a caveat at the bottom about
> separate partitions.  You may just have to try it and them see if the
> BIOS is happy.

I used the seperate floppy version of this (which is just their
version of phdisk) to create a suspend to disk partition on my X30.

I resized the XP NTFS partition down (with partition magic 8), created
the suspend partition with the floppy from IBM (the utility put it
right after the NTFS partition and I made it big enough for the full
1gb of memory the machine can take) and then installed FreeBSD from
CD.

It now dual boots XP in NTFS on the first partition), 2nd partition is
suspend to disk, 3rd partition is FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE. I'm even using
the XP bootloader to boot FreeBSD ;)

FreeBSD suspends to memory and disk fine, as long as there isn't a
compact flash card in the CF slot (if there is it makes a be-boop
noise and just turns the screen off). It doesn't use the default BIOS
save to disk screen, it has a snazzy thinkpad screen ... and writes
out to disk a lot faster than my Z505 ever did.

XP suspends to memory and disk fine, although it still uses it's own
hibernation file in the NTFS partition so I've wasted a bit of disk.
Eh.

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu