Date:      Sun, 22 Dec 2002 19:09:47 -0800
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
To:        Shaun Branden <shaun@pcuse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/46451: Nvidia driver causes system reboot

++ 23/12/02 09:13 +1030 - Shaun Branden:
| On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 02:16:18PM -0800, Pete Fritchman wrote:
| > Synopsis: Nvidia driver causes system reboot
| >
| > State-Changed-From-To: open->closed
| > State-Changed-By: petef
| > State-Changed-When: Sat Dec 21 14:16:18 PST 2002
| > State-Changed-Why:
| >This is not a ports problem; please take it up with nvidia.  Thanks!
|
| I can understand that it is not a ports problems, but I was under the
| impression that freebsd asks for a send-pr to be sent in if bugs are
| found and "ports" was the "closest" category I found for the problem.
| Here we have a bug that causes a system wide crash and the only comment
| from committers is that it is someone elses problem. No wonder that
| there are so many negative comments about freebsd on the lists. I am
| truely surprised and a little worried.

The problem is this is a bug someone on the FreeBSD team cannot fix; the
nvidia driver is closed source.  I can't see the point of keeping a PR
open about a problem we cannot fix.

| I will make sure that the next bug I find is the appropriate type so I
| don't inconvenience you again.

Don't take it the wrong way, it's not an insult, just being realistic...
is there anything the port can do differently to make your system not
crash?  Maybe we can get a web page together of different setups that
cause known crashes, and reference that URL in the port?

--pete