Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 2003 23:10:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder@allcaps.org>
To:        Soeren Schmidt <sos@spider.deepcore.dk>
Cc:        Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>, <current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mirrored root fs?

On Tue, 7 Jan 2003, Soeren Schmidt wrote:

> Not true, you can boot off a broken mirror on a non-RAID ATA controller,
> and then rebuild on the fly with atacontrol once the system is up

Is this new (ie. since August 22, 2002)?  I attempted to do this back then
and I couldn't actually get a rebuild to work for stock ATA controllers.
At that point, I kept getting:
atacontrol: ioctl(ATARAIDREBUILD): Operation not supported by device

See: http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=698625+0+archive/2002/freebsd-stable/20020825.freebsd-stable
for details on my abortive attempts to get this to work.

Will I get different results if I try this procedure again, now?
Alternatively, what did I do wrong in the original procedure?

Thanks,
-a