Date:      Wed, 8 Jan 2003 19:34:30 -0800
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "=?us-ascii:iso-8859-1?Q?Micha=B3?= Pasternak" <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, paul beard <paulbeard@mac.com>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG, sellis@telus.net
Subject:   Re: [Fwd: web write-up]

Thus spake Micha³ Pasternak <michal@pasternak.w.lub.pl>:
> 	I'm especially concerned about softupdates + dirhash compared
> 	to ext3fs or reiser. NVidia's drivers performance should be
> 	also easy to perform.

You can find an analysis of the performance impact of dirpref and
dirhash in the paper ``Recent Filesystem Optimisations in
FreeBSD'' on page 245 in _Proceedings of the FREENIX Track_ 2002.
It doesn't address ext3fs, just as the ext3fs papers don't talk
about UFS.  Note that the paper portrays vmiodir poorly because
the benchmarks presented don't tickle the particular case vmiodir
is intended to address (even though vmiodir really does perform
poorly in the situations tested).