Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2003 05:13:18 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: setuid sendmail

On 2003-01-28 20:50, Michael Grant <mg-fbsd3@grant.org> wrote:
> It seems that sendmail is no longer setuid root.  (I have 4.7 on one
> box where it's not setuid and 4.2 stable on another box where it is).

You should really read the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING at the
4.7 installation.  Especially the entry that starts with:

: 20020404:
:         Due to the import of sendmail 8.12.2 (see 20020325 entry), a new
:         user and group are required in order for sendmail to run as a
:         set-group-ID binary.  A 'make installworld' will use the new user
:         and group [...]

> When I run mailq from my 4.7 box, I get a permission denied error
> when run as a normal user.  Is this now the expected behavior?  Is
> there any relatively secure way to make mailq work again from a
> non-root user?

This is a problem with the permissions of the mail queues.  Do what
UPDATING says and you still fix things.  It works fine after you set
everything up:

	$ id
	uid=1001(giorgos) gid=1001(giorgos) groups=1001(giorgos), 21(ftp)
	$ mailq -Ac
	/var/spool/clientmqueue is empty
			Total requests: 0
	$ mailq