Date:      Sun, 2 Feb 2003 13:52:30 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1044647550.0a669f@mired.org>
To:        brent@kearneys.ca
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: filesystem disappeared following 4.2 -> 4.7 upgrade

In <20030202191806.GA14696@kearneys.ca>, Brent Kearney <brent@kearneys.ca> typed:
> No /dev/ad5s1, etc., and `mount /dev/ad5s1 /home` produces only:
>
>    mount: /dev/ad5s1: No such file or directory
>

> Do I need to make device nodes for the ad5s1 partition?  I'm not sure how,
> if so.

Yes, you need to make device nodes. Try:

# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV ad5s1c
	Or s1a, or whatever you were using.

The reason ad0 turned into ad5 is that ata disk devices are now
numbered statically instead of dynamically. This is a good
thing. While it does mean that your drives move when you upgrade the
OS this one time, it also means that they won't move when you add a
drive to the system.

	<mike