Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 2003 21:06:12 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Daniel Flickinger <attila@hun.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xview port still does not compile

Sent: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:21:01 -0800 by Kris Kennaway:

| On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 10:15:52PM +0000, Daniel Flickinger wrote:
| >     in 5.0-CURRENT xview port has been broken for roughly 6
| >     months. Is this a permanent problem?
|
| Since the port has no maintainer, it will stay broken until someone
| submits patches.

    It looks like the following are dependent on xview:

      bibcard, calctool, contool, ftptool, ghfaxviewer,
      imaze, olvwm, perf, props, skip, slingshot, textedit,
      videotext, workman, xbarcode, xli, xrolo, xvmahjongg,
      xvmines, xvnews

    most of which are covered by other applications --and
    generally better.

    The only one I am interested in is xrolo and it does not
    work that well as xview does not display correctly. I
    have not been able to find the original rolo which I
    believe used curses --which is more than adequate for a
    plain file database.

    Are you aware of any other application which indexes
    records and allows unlimited flat text data per record?

    If not, I can probably find and fix the unreferenced
    declaration; however, until I look at the code, I am not
    willing to commit to maintaining the rest of it
    --particularly the numerous display glitches which may
    be in either xrolo or xview.

    Probably easier to write a new one...

    Thanx