Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:31:53 +0000
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Linh Pham <question+advocacy@closedsrc.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD architecture over Linux?

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 08:33:04PM -0800, Linh Pham wrote:
: With Linux, the location of config files, startup files and services
: can differ greatly from one distribution to another. Which means that if
: you had worked primarily in RedHat at one place then moved somewhere
: else that used Debian or SuSE, you'd have to re-learn some of the
: differences and nuances.
:
: With FreeBSD, it's one distribution and there is a standard (or at least
: recommendation) of where to place startup scripts (/usr/local/etc/rc.d)
: or config files (/etc or /usr/local/etc). Of course, that may not hold
: when you move from FreeBSD to OpenBSD or NetBSD...

Interesting you should mention that.  When I started with Linux, I tried RH
and Mandrake.  Then, after a few shutdowns that oddly destroyed my
filesystem, I found a critical update of the Linux runlevel startup scripts.
There was apparently a bug that, if the cdrom was mounted, trashed / on
shutdown.  Nice, eh?  I wondered how in the world *startup* and *shutdown*
scripts could be so easily screwed up.  I never did find out why, because
the Mandrake update system left me uncertain of whether it correctly got the
dependencies or not.  So, I jettisoned Linux and installed FreeBSD.  :-)

Thanks for your thoughts, Linh and Haikal

Jonathon
--
"The spice must flow...."