Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:16:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Hoskins <mike@adept.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: High wired page count

> Thus spake Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>:
> > I just happened to have a close look at the memory usage figures on
> > various -STABLE machines and noticed that all of them are reporting
> > vm.stats.vm.v_wire_count roughly 1/3 of total RAM.  (My look was
> > triggered by the sound of my firewall paging when I sent a query to
> > its named).

Was it really "paging"?  See vmstat(8).

> > Having 1/3 of memory wired strikes me as excessive

That depends on a lot of things.  4.7-stable, up for ~25 days (last
buildworld), 1GB RAM, maxusers=0 (auto-size based on RAM), mostly NFS/CIFS
traffic,

Mem: 283M Active, 160M Inact, 150M Wired, 8K Cache, 112M Buf, 412M Free
vm.stats.vm.v_wire_count: 38295

-mrh