Date:      Tue, 18 Mar 2003 14:09:59 +0100
From:      Claude Buisson <cbuisson@nerim.net>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@beastie.mckusick.com>
Cc:        Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>, Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.8-RC / 5-CURRENT UFS1 interoperability problem

Kirk McKusick wrote:

>         Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:21:00 +0300 (MSK)
>         From: Maxim Konovalov <maxim@macomnet.ru>
>         To: current@freebsd.org
>         Cc: mckusick@freebsd.org
>         Subject: 4.8-RC / 5-CURRENT UFS1 interoperability problem
>
>         Hello,
>
>         In short, there is a problem using the same UFS1 filesystem under
>         -stable and -current. Please look at an attached typescript for
>         details.
>
>         I noticed a wrong superblock information either:
>
>         [maxim@golf ~]$ df /spare
>         Filesystem  1K-blocks Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
>         /dev/ad0s2a  22520288 -125476 20844144    -1%    /spare
>
>         Is it known bug?
>
>         --
>         Maxim Konovalov, maxim@macomnet.ru, maxim@FreeBSD.org
>
> Executive summary: you need to run `fsck -f -p' whenever you switch
> to or from a 4.X (stable) and a 5.X (current) kernel. The reason
> is that the UFS1 superblock summary information is maintained in
> different parts of the superblock on these two systems. Neither
> system maintains the summary information used by the other. There
> is no risk of trashing your filesystem if you fail to run the fsck,
> but the information reported by `df' will be wrong until you run
> the fsck.
>
>         Kirk McKusick

Thanks for this answer,

It seems also that one needs to do a fsck_ffs on a 5.X system, for a
file system which had been mounted under 4.X.

I hope that someone is thinking about the consequences for dual-booted
systems.

At a minimum, having a way to access/repair a 5.X (unstable/test) UFS
from a 4.X (stable/production) without the need to reboot a fixit
floppy could be very useful...

Claude Buisson