Date:      Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:30:43 -0500
From:      taxman <taxman@acd.net>
To:        Ming Zu <helen_harbour@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I run Dummynet on FreeBSD 4.1.1 Release?

On Monday 24 March 2003 11:52 pm, Ming Zu wrote:
> I need to run Dummynet and control bandwidth within a
> couple of machines which have FreeBSD 4.1.1 Release
> installed as the OS. But by the following
> instructions:
>
> Build and install dummynet kernel.
> # cd /sys/i386/conf
> # config DUMMYNET
> # cd ../../compile/DUMMYNET
> # make depend
> # make install
>
> During the second step, The system gives me an error
> and said that it couldn't find DUMMYNET. I couldn't
> find Dummynet as well in the computer.
>
> Could anyone tell me how can I install dummynet?
> Thanks so much!

It seems you've got some reading to do.  see:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
especially the section on building a custom kernel.

I'm not sure where you got the instructions above, but it seems you missed the
part about editing the kernel config file.  In the example DUMMYNET is the
name of the config file after it was edited to include the dummynet option.
See also /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT   and search for the dummynet option.

Tim