Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 2003 01:01:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Viktor Lazlo <viktorlazlo@telus.net>
Cc:        CARTER Anthony <a.carter@cordis.lu>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD logo...

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Viktor Lazlo wrote:

> Actually it's devil < Latin diabolus < Greek diabolos that means accuser,
> from Greek dia "across/through" and ballein "to throw".

Well, I agree with this bit...

> Hebrew satan (with two long a's)

Both of my Hebrew professors would disagree with you, but that's ok,
because since the old testament texts were copied without vowels, it's
open to debate. :)

> means "the enemy, adversary" from the verbal root satan (with only the
> first a long) meaning "to oppose, plot against, persecute"

True, that's the root meaning of the word, but both of my Hebrew
dictionaries, as well as all of my theological instruction include
"accuser" as the most commonly used connotation in the Old Testament.
After all, someone who brings accusations against you is generally your
enemy, or at least an adversary.  Also, the noun form of the word is
defined simply as "accusation," and the Septuagint translation of the word
in the relevant passages is "hah diabolos," so I think we're closer to
agreeing on this than you might realize.

In several verses of the New Testament, the authors simply transliterated
the hebrew word as a proper name (Satanas) which is where the english word
"Satan" as a proper name is derived.

Doug