Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:36:31 +0200
From:      Simon Barner <barner@in.tum.de>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to find a library

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

> : Most of the ports also install documentation (quite important for progr=
amming),
> : either as man pages, or in $(PREFIX)/share/doc/<name of the ports>.
>=20
> That's exactly what I needed to know.  Excellent!

I forgot one more thing: Every port has a pointer to the according web page=
 at
the end of its pkg-descr file.

> What I basically am looking for is a gui toolkit that works well with C++
> and looks professional.

The first decision you have to make is whether you want to write an applica=
tion
for one of the two major integrated desktops, GNOME and KDE.

The latter is built with the QT toolkit, a cross-plattform GUI toolkit. You=
 can
also use QT only (without KDE support). QT has more than GUI mechanisms, bu=
t it
also hides OS specific things like I/O, ... from the programmer. IIRC, the =
MFC
also has lots of these things, so QT might be the way to go. I think you ha=
ve to
buy a license for commercial use, but there is also a GPL-licensed version =
of
it.

GNOME is based on the GTK-toolkit, which is written in C, but there are als=
o C++
bindings (called gtk-- and gtk--2 for GTK 2). Again, you can use GTK(2) wit=
hout
GNOME, too.

Another interesting alternative seems to be wxwindows
(http://www.wxwindows.org/), which is another cross-platform GUI-toolkit. It
uses the operating systems default toolkit to draw its widgets (unlike QT, =
for
example), such that you can built applications with a native look-and-feel.=
 In
the FreeBSD ports collection, there is the GTK based version of wxwindows
(called wxgtk).

One remark: I have to admit that I have not built any larger application wi=
th
any of the above toolkits, since I am writing CLI applications most of the =
time.
One friend of mine has recommended WxWindows to me, and a another one QT.
Perhaps you should browser through the documentation and the sample applica=
tions
that most likely come along with them.

> Along with that, I need to decide on a build manager of some type.  I don=
't
> want to depend on an IDE, nor do I want to spend time editing makefiles.

I do not know of an alternative to makefiles. The best is have a look on an
existing one. One stumbling block might be, that FreeBSD uses pmake
(/usr/share/doc/psd/12.make), whereas many applications that come from a Li=
nux
background use GNU gmake.

>Is
> autoconf a good choice for this, or is there a better alternative used mo=
re
> often in BSD?

AFAIK autoconf is used to write software that runs on the various flavours =
of
unix. The built process itself is makefile driven, too.

Cheers,
 Simon

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/

--QKdGvSO+nmPlgiQ/--