Date:      Mon, 23 Jun 2003 01:34:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg-bsd@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Benjamin Walkenhorst <krylon@gmx.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-isdn@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble getting an AVM A1 running in kernel ppp mode

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003, Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:
> There a several things that seem really weird to me:
> 1) If the A1 does not support irq 11 (and I believe you are right about
> this), why does FreeBSD seem to accept this setting? When I try irq 3, I get
> an error about FreeBSD being unable to assign irq 3 to the card.

FreeBSD has no way to tell whether an ISA card is in an 8- or 16-bit slot.

In general, with pre-PnP ISA cards you (the user) are responsible for both
setting the jumpers on the card to values that don't conflict with
anything else in the system, and then accurately specifying that
information in your kernel config.

In the case of the A1, the driver's probe routine reads a few registers to
check that there is something that at least looks a bit like an A1 at the
port address you have specified, but is not able to test the IRQ until you
start using the card.

> 2) Under Linux, the A1 works just fine with irq 3 and io 0x340. If these
> settings are set using jumpers, why ... you know... Why doesn't FreeBSD
> accept these settings? And why does it accept settings that you say cannot be
> right?

FreeBSD doesn't accept the case where you have two devices sharing the
same ISA interrupt, because this can't work.

It doesn't reject IRQ11, because that could in principle be right (someone
might have made a 16-bit version of the A1, or you might have attached a
wire to the IRQ jumper and attached it to the appropriate pin on an
adjacent card).

> The only other device that uses irq 3 (afaik) is my serial port. Which I
> don't use. Serial ports just suck. =) But when I deactivate it in
> /boot/device.hints  (hint.sio.0.disabled="1" hint.sio.1.disabled="1"),
> nothing seems to change. Serial ports are still recognized. ;-?

Not sure about this.  If this is a (relatively) modern machine, maybe the
kernel is getting hints from PnPBIOS.  Try removing the SIO driver
from your kernel altogether.  Or debug further what's happening when you
disable the port in the BIOS (I know you said this didn't work, but
verbose boot messages would be more useful).

Low-level info about the A1 can be found at:

  http://www.arg1.demon.co.uk/avm.html