Date:      Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:19:47 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Michael Bretterklieber <mbretter@jawa.at>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NAT and PPTP

At 01:44 PM 7/17/2003, Michael Bretterklieber wrote:

>that's not true, libalias (=natd) very well supports PPTP-nat. Maybe the
>problem is in your firewall. Firewalls have to pass protocl 47 (=GRE) in
>order to get PPTP to work.

It is. In fact, I think that may be part of the problem.

I didn't set this firewall up, but I do see a rule in there,
fairly early on, that says "allow gre from any to any".
Apparently, the literature says to add this.

It occurs to me that this rule may cause the packets to
bypass natd.

On the other hand, if it's removed, the GRE packets seem to
get blocked.

Hmmm.

--Brett