Date:      Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:10:54 +0200
From:      Erwin Lansing <erwin@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Trevor S. Cornpropst" <tcornpropst@cox.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Request information from Perl port gurus

--TiqCXmo5T1hvSQQg

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 02:47:38PM -0400, Trevor S. Cornpropst wrote:
>=20
> 1. Is there an exemplary Perl port I could use for reference as the right=
 way=20
> to do it? There seems to be several different approaches.

There's no real "reference" port, but a quick look at my ports shows
that finance/p5-Business-OnlinePayment-2CheckOut shows most things. It
even has a post-patch to fix some 5.005_03 issues to confuse a new
porter :-)

> 2. During my testing of the port I discovered that a pure Perl type of mo=
dule=20
> install (perl Makefile.PL ... make ... make test ... make install) regist=
ered=20
> the package with the FreeBSD package database. This is really cool and ma=
kes=20
> life much easier. Is there a preferred method for creating Perl ports (i.=
e.=20
> the standard FreeBSD ports way or BSDPAN)?
>=20
PERL_CONFIGURE should take care of all of these concerns.

If you want, you're welcome to send your port directly to me and I'll revie=
w and
give you some hints.

Cheers,
-erwin