Date:      Wed, 05 Nov 2003 00:10:45 +0000
From:      Colin Percival <colin.percival@wadham.ox.ac.uk>
To:        Harald Schmalzbauer <h@schmalzbauer.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to detect SMP-capable machines?

At 01:01 05/11/2003 +0100, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
>On Wednesday 05 November 2003 00:54, Colin Percival wrote:
> >    Install 5.1-CURRENT (or at least boot a 5.1-CURRENT filesystem), which
> > (I believe) now supports both UP and SMP in the GENERIC kernel, due to
> > recent changes by jhb.
>
>But I don't belive this solves Olivers problem since he's working with 4.9

   I'm not aware of any limitation which would make it impossible to
construct a CD which boots a 5.1 kernel but installs a 4.9 world onto a
system.  Obviously, you can't do this with the standard release CD, but the
standard release CDs aren't going to be much use anyway, since they don't
include SMP kernels.

Colin Percival