Date:      Thu, 1 Jan 2004 07:44:27 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Josh Rivel <josh@freek.com>
Subject:   Re: Least supported laptop for FreeBSD under $1k

> APM suspend seems to work fine on most recent ThinkPads, but ACPI is
> getting very good on CURRENT. The ATA problem with resume is the only
> really big outstanding issue, although the failure of USB on resume may
> be a show-stopper for some. Lots of folks are trying to figure out the
> ATA problem, so I hope to see it resolved before too long.

Actually I only seem to be having disk related problems with APM suspend (some
times, seemingly if there is disc access during the resume cycle, the laptop
will hang). Unless the ATA problem you are referring to manifests itself as
imposing a lot of latency/load on the system, which is the primary reason why
I am not using ACPI - the machine is not usable after a resume even if
everything (except USB) technically seems to work.

> Also, with CURRENT, it is more likely that you can use the built-in
> 802.11 card. I'm not sure which chipset is used in various versions, but
> CURRENT support the popular Atheros and Bill Paul has been busy with an

FWIW,  the Atheros driver works fine for me on the T40p.

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org