Date:      Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:41:19 -0500
From:      T Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
To:        Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com>, Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.no-ip.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [freebsd-questions] snd_maestro3.ko load/unload

On Wednesday 31 December 2003 10:18 pm, Tim Kellers wrote:
> I'm going to try that right now.  It would be nice to learn a last nugget
> before the Bull of the Old Year dies:)
>
> Happy (nearly) New Year
>
> Tim
>
> On Wednesday 31 December 2003 08:16 pm, Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > Tim Kellers <timothyk@wallnet.com> writes:
> > > %mixer
> > > Mixer vol      is currently set to  11:11
> > > Mixer pcm      is currently set to  75:75
> > > Mixer speaker  is currently set to  75:75
> > > Mixer line     is currently set to  75:75
> > > Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
> > > Mixer cd       is currently set to  75:75
> > > Mixer rec      is currently set to  49:49
> > > Mixer ogain    is currently set to  50:50
> > > Mixer line1    is currently set to  75:75
> > > Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
> > > Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
> > > Mixer video    is currently set to  75:75
> > >

> > > It's the load/unload/load thing that has me baffled.  Is there some
> > > knob in kldload that doesn't get twisted until after a kldunload of a
> > > .ko file?
> >
> > Well, no, but loading the driver results in trying to reset a bunch of
> > things (including the mixer settings, which was why I asked about that).
> >
> > > Nah...
> > >
> > > gotta be something else, like evil spirits, maybe.
> >
> > You said you were letting snd_pcm get autoloaded; do you see the same
> > results if you do an explicit load of that before loading the maestro3
> > driver?  [Similar reasoning...]

Yes,  same results

The .ko snd_maestro3 file can't e loaded without it pulling in snd_pcm.ko (and
snd_pcm.ko can't be unloaded while the maestro3 .ko is loaded "Device is
busy" is the message)

The first load always disables the keyboard clicking (from BIOS) the ^G bell
in the CLI and sound in X (using KDE and artsd, I haven't tried just plain
twm).  The unload/reload process still wakes everything up.

My idea well is dry.

Thanks,

Tim