Date:      Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:50:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        db <db@traceroute.dk>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.2.1 make installword trashed my system

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, db wrote:

> I've been running 5.2 on my laptop (i386 Acer)  for some time now. Few
> hours ago I download the 5.2.1-release source, buildworld, buildkernel,
> installkernel, but after a few minuts of installworld my system froze.
> Now when I try to boot I get:

Ouch.

> Mounting root from ufs: /dev/ad0s1a
> WARNING: / was not properly dismounted
> exec /sbin/init: error 8
> /sbin/sysctl: 1: Syntax error: ";" unexpected
> /sbin/sysctl: 1: Syntax error: ";" unexpected
>
> Thu Feb 26 16:24:26 CET 2004
> Feb 26 16:24:26 init: can't exec getty '/usr/libexec/getty' for port
> /dev/ttyv0: No such file or directory
> ....and so on
>
> So the question is: Now what? I can boot in single user mode and get a
> shell, but very few programs work and I can't mount anything?

It seems there might be three fairly straight-forward choices, not sure
which are options for you:

(1) Download the 5.2.1 ISO, and do a binary update, which will simply slap
    down the 5.2.1 binaries over whatever is on the disk (a pretty blend
    of 5.2 and 5.2.1, no doubt).

(2) In general, the 5.2 and 5.2.1 binaries are about the same in userspace
    -- most changes were to the kernel, and no ABIs were changed.  So it
    sounds like maybe init got toasted, a few shared libraries, etc.  Boot
    to single-user mode using /rescue/init and/or /rescue/sh, and manually
    update binaries from your object tree until you can successfully kick
    off an installworld.  You can use /rescue/cp to do most of this.  I'd
    start by copying /usr/obj/usr/src/sbin/init to /sbin/init, and hitting
    a couple of the key libraries (libc, libutil, for example).  As soon
    as you can boot normally to single user mode and use the existing
    tools, restart installworld.  By looking at the dates in /bin, /sbin,
    etc, you can probably figure out where it gave up, and what only got
    partially completed.

(3) If you can NFS boot the system, perhaps using PXE, you can do an
    installworld over the network.  This is generally easy if you already
    have a PXE setup, but otherwise hard as you have to figure out PXE.

None of this addresses the hang you saw -- once you've gotten the system
up and running properly, if you are still experiencing the hang, we should
see if we can figure out what it is that's hanging.  However, that will be
very hard to do in the partially updated configuration, so I think the
best bet is to try and get the update finished.

Good luck!

robert@fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research