Date:      Sun, 14 Mar 2004 09:24:58 -0500
From:      Marty Landman <MLandman@face2interface.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: using samba for backups

At 07:07 AM 3/14/2004, Matthew Seaman wrote:

> > There was an article around a couple of years ago I think about some
> > disgruntled MS employee who put code into W95 to make it crash after 41
> > days or something.The funny part of course was how nobody interviewed
> could
> > even imagine a 95 box staying up that long.
>
>I don't think there was deliberate sabotage.  It was a programming
>error that led to some early versions of NT4 having a counter
>roll-over every 42 days, causing the system to crash.

Thanks for the sanity check. Just shows how messed up my memory can be
after a time.

>The greatest irony of all was that Microsoft were touting NT4 at the time as a
>"Unix killer" and promising that five-nines uptimes could be achieved,
>at the same time as officially advising all users to reboot their
>systems every 30-something days.  Somebody calculated that meant that
>NT4 would have to be able reboot in well under a minute...

What I'm experiencing with my XP home workstation is that while it is quite
stable, it also has a propensity to accumulate CSRSS tasks which run as
system and can't be killed through task mgr. I think that because of this
my system gets sluggish over time. Right now it's been more than 23 days
since my last reboot, and 24 out of 46 running processes are csrss. BTW
after a reboot there are iirc only 2 of these running. However over time
child processes accumulate; it seems to be some kind of bug where they get
spawned but not killed when no longer needed.

>Note: followup to freebsd-chat, as this is getting off-topic.

Yep, thanks for setting up that way.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc.   845-679-9387
Web Installed Formmailer: http://face2interface.com/Products/Formal.shtml
FormATable  DB: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml