Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:08:21 -0700
From:      Mike Durian <durian@boogie.com>
To:        Pav Lucistnik <pav@freebsd.org>
Cc:        cvs-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/audio/tclmidi Makefile ports/audio/tclmidi/files smf.patch song.patch strstream.h

On Thursday 18 March 2004 09:27 am, Pav Lucistnik wrote:
> pav         2004/03/18 08:27:35 PST
>
>   FreeBSD ports repository
>
>   Modified files:
>     audio/tclmidi        Makefile
>   Added files:
>     audio/tclmidi/files  smf.patch song.patch strstream.h
>   Log:
>   - Fix build with modern gcc
>
>     Add placeholder strstream.h file in the workdir, and patch
>     some of the Makefile.in's to use the workdir in their include path.
>
>     Rewriting this port to use ISO C++ would maybe be better, but will make
> the diff a lot larger.  Also, the tclmidi program doesn't really seem to be
> actively maintained anyway.

As the author of tclmidi, I can state with some confidence that
tclmidi is not being maintained in any way, shape or form.  I ran
out of time for it a number of years ago.

However, I should point out that the C++ version of tclmidi was obsolete
before I gave up tclmidi in general.  I think end-of-life for the C++
version was 1997.

The last maintained version was written in eiffel, and should
probably be the version used in the port.  The code is cleaner and
I believe fixed some problems found in the C++ version.  As an added
benefit, it has zero references to strstream.h.

I recently heard from someone who compiled the latest version with a
current SmartEiffel.  It was pretty straight forward to get it to build.
A few minor changes were required, but they were along the lines of
removing usused variables.

I can supply the last released version of tclmidi to someone to host.
My internet connection isn't appropriate for hosting it myself.

mike