Date:      Mon, 05 Jul 2004 00:46:28 +0100
From:      John Murphy <spam-trap@freeode.co.uk>
To:        Nikhil Kale <ngkale_2000@yahoo.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cant bring up network interface

Nikhil Kale <ngkale_2000@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>Hello,
>I dont think the problem is related to releasing the DHCP lease
>because I have Windows XP, SuSE linux and now FreeBSD installed
>on the computer. I havent had any problem with Windows/Linux.

Perhaps not, but I think it's related to DHCP.  Do you have a
lease in /var/db/dhclient.leases? If not - have you perhaps
enabled firewall functionality which could block 255.255.255.255?

-----------------------------------

>sis0: <NatSemi DP8381[56] 10/100BaseTX> port 0x8c00-0x8cff mem =
0xd0008000-0xd0008fff irq 11 at device 18.0 on pci0

>sis0: Silicon Revision: DP83816A
>
>sis0: Ethernet address: 00:0d:9d:43:e5:b7
>
>miibus0: <MII bus> on sis0
>
>sis0: watchdog timeout

Yep, all looks ok there: I have 3 of those all working fine.
(5.2.1) Haven't seen 'watchdog timeout' errors though.

>  As soon as this is logged while booting the Ethernet LED on my =
broadband modem goes OFF.=20
I've never found an LED state particularly informative.
Could you make your line length ~76.  The google archive seems
to quote long lines verbatim, causing horizontal scrolling :(

>I may be completely wrong, but I think some wrong module is getting
>loaded, which is causing this problem. Can you point out how I can
>debug more, and get this solved???

You could use parameters from a SuSe or XP lease to manually config
the BSD installation.  And then you could test connectivity to the
ISP DHCP server.  I'm not sure how to test the (main) broadcast
address though and that's the one which is used (magically ;))
when an interface has no clue (previous lease) to consult.

--=20
John.