Date:      Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:53:45 +0200
From:      "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /sys/conf is getting unwieldy to handle...

In message <20041004.094753.106215007.imp@bsdimp.com>, "M. Warner Losh" writes:

I believe that we already have an 'include' statement, so someone
>could easily try the include stuff on a prototype basis w/o any real
>hassle.  That would let us get experience with how good or bad phk's
>ideas are.  I suspect they are overly simplistic because they are too
>lumpy: they include too many drivers that a typical custom kernel
>would want to get rid of.  They just make GENERIC look nicer, but I'm
>not sure how well it will help things.

I'm all for higher granularity, but absent that I'll take big chunks
I can easily avoid.

My take on the issue is that the stuff you want to avoid follow the
big lines ("no USB", "no SCSI", "no IPv6") whereas the stuff you want
usually is a subset ("scsi, da and ahc").

Just because we segregate all the scsi stuff into one file doesn't
mean you have to take it all, you can still pick and choose the
bits you want, but it means that it is easy to get rid of it all.