Date:      Fri, 5 Nov 2004 08:47:33 +0200
From:      Nelis Lamprecht <nlamprecht@gmail.com>
To:        Are Bryne <are.bryne@communique.no>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ad0: WRITE command timeout...

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 16:55:30 +0100 (CET), Are Bryne
<are.bryne@communique.no> wrote:
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Nelis Lamprecht wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 4 Nov 2004 14:10:42 +0100 (CET), Are Bryne
> > <are.bryne@communique.no> wrote:
> [...]
> >> After upgrading a computer from FreeBSD 4.8-something to 4.10-RELEASE-p3,
> >> I'm getting lots of the following:
> >>
> >> ad0: WRITE command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> >> ata0: resetting devices .. done
>
> The disk in question is a
> FUJITSU MPC3043AT/6018 using ATA/ATAPI rev 3 according to atacontrol.
> It is master on its controller and uses UDMA33 transfers, and has an idle
> PIO4 cd-rom player as a slave.

The cdrom drive may be forcing your hard drive to use a much slower
UDMA. If I were you I would connect the cd-rom player on your
secondary channel or at the very least disconnect it and see if your
problem persists and you might even find you get better tranfer rates.

Nelis